AutoApproved

Frequently Auto-Approved

Thursday, June 17, 2021

The Summer Before The War- Helen Simonson- Astonishingly poignant and meaningful~ Must Read~ 5 Stars +


 What a wonderful book this was, so full of emotion and feelings. I am glad I purchased it and will read it again. I actually went right back and reread the last chapters as there were revelations and nuances I needed to firm up.

A picture of WWI in Europe, reminiscent of the books "While England Slept" and "Why England Slept" about WWII by Churchill and Kennedy. This was an earlier war while sleepy English villages like Rye held dear to their "standards" aka "prejudices", as war thundered towards them.

The main characters Hugh and Beatrice had integrity and compassion and happily found love but many other of the characters grew in depth, some sadly in death. I had to dig out who Daniel really was so definitely will reread this one soon.

Summa Cum Laude to Helen Simonson for both novels which I loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment