AutoApproved

Frequently Auto-Approved

Thursday, May 14, 2020

The Dutch House - Ann Patchett - Wonderful Read!~ Family dysfunction at it's finest~ 5 Stars !

I very much enjoyed this book although I almost stopped reading it when Andrea made Danny and Maeve leave the house after their father died. It was at night and I woke up during the night trying to figure out where the story line would go and what would happen next. I decided in the morning I better finish reading it- so glad I did.

It tells the story of siblings, as Danny said at the end it was supposed to be about his sister Maeve and how they dealt with family dysfunction. It could have been about adult children of alcoholics as the dynamics are the same- "Same House -Different Homes", Danny and Maeve had "different" mothers and fathers emotionally.

Danny and his family did better through life than Maeve, which is to be expected as she "protected" him from the loss of his mother and every catastrophe almost that he encountered. He was closer to his father because she was not and because his father valued his son a bit more.

A great read!! My Book Club September Selection

No comments:

Post a Comment