AutoApproved

Frequently Auto-Approved

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Orphan Train - Christina Baker Kline ~ Must Read !

It was a great and historically accurate book, made all the more poignant by the fact that I have had DNA cousin matches who had been on one of the Orphan Trains out of New York. Donegal cousins as best as I can tell.

It was written as a novel but some of the experiences were drawn from a variety of train riders experiences.I am so fortunate that I knew my grandparents and lived in the same small town and did not leave New Jersey until I was 57, so this is not my story. 

"Well I was born in a small town
 And I can breathe in a small town
 Gonna die in this small town
 And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me " 

Over 200,000 children rode these orphan trains to the West or Mid West to a new life nad for sure many did not have good experiences. May all of these children now be in a better place where the sun is always shining.

Recommended to all, not just those who like accurate historical portraits,such is history! I got this book on my Kindle as a library download, thanks to Perquimans Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment