AutoApproved

Frequently Auto-Approved

Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Betrothed Sister- Book Three -The Daughters of Hastings Trilogy - Carol McGrath ~ Magical!

A spectacular book that I read carefully and with relish. I am so sorry it is finished but I will now begin to reread the first book in the trilogy.( which I also loved) Carol McGrath is a marvelous historian and an even better writer. I wish there were more books in this series.

 I knew little about Russia at any period, even less about this period. I had no idea that the society and the city of Kiev rivaled European capitals like Paris in sophistication. I am happy to realize that Thea/Gytha and Vladimir's descendants were rulers in England. Perhaps that is the part of the story that I like the best,and it is factual.

 What else? I do so enjoy reading about this period both before and after the Norman Conquest I am, therefore, quite pleased that this daughter of Hastings went on to have a marriage that was happy and satisfying, at least up until the time the author ends the narrative. Her quite excellent end notes tie all the loose ends that I would need to know so very succinctly.

 I received an ARC for this review but I would have purchased regardless as I did for the first two books. I am honored to have been able to read this fine novel and recommend it so very highly. Fine and scholarly research and riveting storytelling win every time!



Prepublication summary:""It is September 1068. Thea, also known as Gytha, the elder daughter of King Harold II, travels with her brothers and grandmother into exile carrying revenge in her heart. She is soon betrothed to a prince of Kiev. Will her betrothal and marriage bring her happiness, as she confronts enemies from inside and outside Russian territories? Will she prove herself the courageous princess she surely is, win her princely husband's respect and establish her independence in a society protective towards its women?"

No comments:

Post a Comment