AutoApproved

Frequently Auto-Approved

Sunday, November 15, 2015

The King's Favourite - Marjorie Bowen ~ Recently reissued

I received this book from NetGalley for a fair review and see that it will be archived almost immediately. A republished book which needs a few editing corrections but essentially is a good read.I appreciate being able to read this book for NetGalley and perhaps 3.5 Stars will work for it, although I cannot do that here.

I actually knew nothing about Frances Howard and at first thought that SHE was "The King's Favorite" so I need to be even more careful with book choices. The book cover at Endeavor Press is nice but quite different than this one at Goodreads so I will use another picture for my blog.

Was Frances guilty?  Guilt of something surely but perhaps not murder? She was so very YOUNG after all! She was surely manipulated by a mother who used her for her own purposes and had her own histrionic issues. Frances was a child who was not only encouraged in, at least using her looks and personal attributes for personal and family gain, but in a liberated fashion. 

I was sorry for her and still unsure about what was or was not done to all of these people. Prince Henry's death? Goodness..for that I must read further books, although it seems to have been from Typhoid..

They had a daughter Anne who was born when her parents were imprisoned and who later married William Russell Earl of Bedford and they had 7 children, 6 of whom lived to adulthood.

I enjoyed the book and do recommend to those who like this period, which surely is  underrepresented in fiction.

1 comment: