AutoApproved

Frequently Auto-Approved

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The Crossing Places- Dr. Ruth Galloway mysteries ~ Elly Griffiths ~ Wonderful series- start reading now !


My 2nd Ruth Galloway book since I am determined to read them all. Two more are on my kindle now from my digital library. Would love to read them all in order but I will catch up, free is free, and samples are always available on Amazon.

Possibly I am really drawn to this body of work as my graduate degrees were in Anthropology, although no fieldwork for cultural anthropology usually. I am quite selective about my reads and only follow certain authors, and was once in a virtual tour group but did not like losing personal selection. My preference in mysteries are historical and being written about another country than US.

All of that being said, Elly Griffiths does have understanding of archaeology, and this area in Norfolk. Her character, Dr. Ruth Galloway is unique and refreshing, as are her associates and loved ones. Ruth is fortyish and overweight but supposedly pretty, and her various love interests will attest to this attractiveness. Her peers also are not completely monogamous,  so modern relationships are evident.  

Ruth makes the acquaintance of DI Harry Nelson because of her expertise in dating of bones, specifically those that are in peat bogs. Harry, as well as some other will continue to be present in subsequent novels. Most of her compatriots are academics like herself.

Many of Ruth's memories and personal history are at risk in this novel where two young girls have gone missing ten years apart. Ten years prior was a watershed discovery of a henge in the salt marsh area she now lives in. What has happened to these girls and when did it happen? Others who are contemporaries or of past importance to Ruth are drawn into this nail biter, when Iron Age and modern skeletons are discovered near to her home and work.

A 10th Ruth Galloway book will be released in 2018. My recommendation is that you start reading now to catch up. 5 Stars. 




No comments:

Post a Comment